1. The cell
• Lysosomes are generally found in the cytoplasm of animal cells. Lysosomes exhibit polymorphism.
Historical Account :
• The term lysosome was introduced by De Duve in 1955.
• It is also called demolition squads, scavengers, cellular house keepers and suicidal bags.
• Lysosome are simple tiny spherical sac like structures evenly distributed in the cytoplasm.
• Lysosome is small vesicle surrounded by a single membrane and contains powerful enzymes.
Functions of Lysosomes :
• Lysosomes serve as interacellular digestive system, hence called digestive bags.
• Lysosomes also remove the worn out and poorly working cellular organelles by digesting them to make way for their new replacement.