5. Clothing : A Social History
Glossary - Clothing : A Social History
1. Cockade : Cap usually worn on one side.
2. Ermine : Type of fur
3. Corset : A stiff inner bodice worn by women to give shape and support to the figure.
4. Suffrage : The right to vote.
5. Busk : A strip of material either of wood, whalebone or steel in front of the corset to stiffen and support it.
6. Pabulum : Anything that is essential to maintain life and growth.
7. Chintz : Cotton cloth printed with designs and flowers.
8. Peta : The Mysore turban which was edged with gold lace and part of the Durbar dress of the Mysore court in the 19th century.