Chapter : 1. Electoral Politics
Glossary Electoral Politics
1. By-election : Means an election held to fill a vacancy caused by either death, resignation or any other reason.
2. Campaigning : Refers to a process by which a candidate tries to persuade the vote to vote for him rather than for others.
3. Constituency : It refers to an area delimited for the purpose of election.
4. Elcectorate : It refers to the entire body of people who are qualified to vote in the elections for the legislature.
5. Election Commission : A parliamentary body constituted to conduct free and fair election in the country.
6. Election Manifesto : A document published by each political party before election containing the policies and programme of that party.
7. Franchise : Refers to the right of people to vote and elect their representatives to make laws.
8. Opposition parties : The parties which are defeated in the election do not form the government but form the opposition and keep the government in check.
9. Public opinion : Opinion of the electorate on all major-social political, economic and other important issues.
10. General Election : When an election is held in all constituencies and people from all parts of the country participate to choose their representatives for Parliament or state legislative Assembly, it is called a general election.
11. Secret Ballot : System of casting one’s vote is secrecy so that the choice of the voter remains a secret and is not known to others.
12. Print Media : Means of public information which consists of News papers, Periodicals and Magazines.
13. Electronic Media : Means of public information system which runs on electronics like Radio, T.V., Computer etc.
14. Universal Adult Franchise : Every Indian citizen of 18 years and above has the right to vote irrespective of caste, creed or sex.
15. One Person one vote : Every body has the right to cast one vote and everyone’s vote is of equal importance.
16. Seats : The term refers to number of position in any legislature.
17. Election : A contest of power between different candidate and parties.
18. Electoral Participation : It entails participating in the election procedure through voting, contesting election, compainging .
19. Electoral Roll : It is the voter’s list prepared by a door to door survey to include only bonafide voter and minimise role of bogus voters.
20. Rigging : Any unfair practice indulged in during election is called rigging.
21. Turnout : The percentage of eligible voters who cast their votes in an election.
22. Incumbent : The current holder of a political office.
23. Code of conduct : A set of norms and guide lines to be followed by political parties and contesting candidates during election time.
Trending Articles & Blogs
Download Old Sample Papers For Class X & XII
Download Practical Solutions of Chemistry and Physics for Class 12 with Solutions