2. Food Security In India
Why food security ?
The poorest section of the society might be food insecure most of the times while persons above the poverty line might also be food insecure when the country faces a national disaster/calamity like earthquake, tsunami, drought etc.
How is food security affected during a calamity ?
1. Due to a natural calamity, say drought, total production of food, grains decreases.
2. It create a shortage of food in a affected areas.
3. Due to shortage of food, the prices go up.
4. At the high prices, some people cannot afford to buy food.
If such calamity (Drought) happens in a very wide area or is stretched over a longer time period, it may cause a situation of starvation. A massive starvation might take a turn of famine.
Features of famine :
1. Wide spread deaths due to starvation.
2. Epidemics caused by forced use of contaminated water or decaying food.
3. Loss of the body resistance due to weakening from starvation.