1. The cell
Cytoplasm, Cellorganelles & Endoplasmic Reticulum
• The fluid & semifluid matrix of a cell between the nucleus & the plasma membrane, containing various organelles is called cytoplasm.
Cell organelles :
• Small membrane bound structures, which perform a lot of chemical activities to support the function & structure of a cell, called cell organelles -
• Some important cell organelles are following -
Endoplasmic Reticulum :
• The endoplasmic reticulum (ER) is noticeable only with an electron microscope.
• The ER is an extensive network of intracellular membrane-bound tubes and that occupies most of the cytoplasm in almost all eukaryotic cells. The membranes of this system are lipoproteinic in nature similar in structure to the plasma membrane. The ER is more prominent in young and dividing cells as compared to older cells. It is absent in prokaryotic cells.