Democratic Politics (NTSE/Olympiad)
2. Political Parties
Glossary (Political Parties)
1. Political Party : It is a political association or a voluntary group of people who come together to contest elections and hold power in the governemnt.
2. Election commission : It is an independent multi-member body which is constituted for the superintendence, direction and conduct of elections.
3. Partisan : A person who is strongly committed to a party, group or faction. Partisanship is marked by a tendency to take a side and inability to take a balanced view on an issue.
4. One party/Mono party : It means a system in which only one party operates in the political system for various reasons. In this system there is no opposition, e.g. China.
5. Two party or Bi-party system : A political system where there are two major parties. In this system power usually changes between two main parties. e.g. U.K. & U.S.A.
6. Multi Party system : It is a political system where more than two parties exist and contest elections to come to power.
7. National Parties : Parties that are present in only one of the federal units and are country wide Parties known as national parties. These parties have their units in various states.
8. State or Regional Parties : The parties that are present in several or all units of the federation known as state or regional parties.
9. Reconised Political Parties : The parties which get recognition by the election commission gives election sysmbols, Privileges and some other special election facilities are known as the recognised political parties.
10. Leftist Parties : Parties which are radical, ideological conservative in nature known as Leftist Parties.
11. Rightist Parties : Parties which want a status ono and are conservative in nature known as Rightiest parties.
12. Opposition : The political party or group of parties that form part of a legislature but are not in government. They check the activities of the government.
13. Defection : It signifies changing party allegiance from the party on which a person gets elected to a different party. i.e. members change a party for money post etc.
14. Affidavit : It is a signed document submitted to an officer, where a person makes a sworn statement regarding his/her personal information.
15. Ruling Party : Political party that runs government.