Democratic Politics (NTSE/Olympiad)
1. Power Sharing
Glossary (Power Sharing)
1. Ethnic : A social based division based on shared culture people belonging to same ethnic group believe in their common descent because of similarities of physical type or of culture, or both. They need not always have the same religion or nationality.
2. Majoritarian : A concept which signifies a belief that the majority community should be able to rule a country in whichever way it wants is known as “Majoritarian”. In this type of rule they disregard the wishes and needs of the minority.
3. Civil war : A violent conflict between opposing groups within a country is known as civil war. Some times it becomes so intense that it appears like a war.
4. Prudential : Based on prudence, or on careful calculation of gains and losses. Prudential decisions are usually contrasted with those decisions, which are based purely on moral considerations.
5. Moral : It is a set of reasons which emphasise the intrinsic worth of power sharing.
6. Community government : A type of government which is elected by people belonging to one language community is called community government.
7. Federal government : It is a type of government in which powers are shared among the different levels.
8. Power sharing : It is the distribution of powers among the organs of the government at different level.
9. Checks and Balance : A system in which each organ of the government checks the others which results in a balance of power among various institutions.
10. Sri Lankan Tamils : Tamil natives of Sri Lanka are called Sri Lankan Tamils.
11. Indian Tamils : The Tamilians whose forefathers came from India as plantation workers during colonial period and settled in Sri Lanka are called Indian Tamils.
12. Horizontal Distribution of Power : A type of distribution in which power is shared among different organs of government such as the legislature, executive and judiciary. They are placed at the same level.