2. Manufacturing Industries
1. The fertiliser industry is centred around the production of nitrogenous fertilisers phosphatic fertilisers and ammonium phosphate and the complex of fertilisers which have a combination of nitrogen (N) and Potash (K).
2. Potash is entirely imported.
3. India is the third largest producer of nitrogenous fertilizers.
4. There are 57 fertiliser units manufacturing nitrogenous and complex nitrogeneous fertilisers 29 for urea and 9 for producing ammonium sulphate as a by producing ammonium sulphate as a by product and 68 other small units produce single super phosphate.
5. There are 10 public sector undertakings and one is cooperative sector at Hazira in Gujarat under the fertiliser corporation of India.
6. Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Kerala contribute half the fertiliser production. Other are Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan, Bihar, Maharashtra, Assam West Bengal Goa, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka.