3. Liflines of National Economy
Pipelines are a convenient mode of transport for mineral oil & natural gas.
Advantages of pipeline transportation :
1. Transportation through pipe lines rules out delay and transportation.
2. Though initial cost of laying pipelines is high but running cost is very low.
3. It maintain continuous supply of gas and oil.
4. The pipes can be laid through difficult terrains as well as under sea.
Important networks of pipeline Transportation :
1. From oil field in upper Assam to Kanpur (U.P.) Via Guwahati, Barauni and Allahabad. It has branches from Brauni to Haldia, via Rajbandh, Rajbandh to Maurigram and Guwahati to Silgur.
2. From Salaya in Gujarat to Jalandhar in Punjab via Viramgam, Mathura, Delhi and Sonipat. It has branches to connect Koyali.
3. Gas pipeline from Hazira in Gujarat connect Jagdishpur in Uttar Pradesh via Bijapur in Madhya Pradesh. It has Branches to Kota in Rajasthan, Shahajahanpur, Sabrala and other places in Uttar Pradesh.
4. Pipelines between Mumbai high and Mumbai, Pune.