2. Pastoralists in the Modern World
Glossary - Pastoralists in the Modern World
1. Nomads : Nomads are those people who do not live in one place but move from one area to another to earn their living.
2. Bhabar : A dry forested area below the foot hills of garhwal and kumaun.
3. Bugyai : Vast meadows in the high mountains.
4. Kharif : The autumn crop, usually harvested between September and October.
5. Rabi : The spring crop, usually havested after March.
6. Stubble : Lower ends of grain stalks left in the ground after harvesting.
7. Pasture : It is a grass or other plants grown for feeding or grazing animals, as well as land used for grazing.
8. Massai : A postoralist community of Africa.
9. Criminal Tribes Act : In 1871, the colonial government in India passed the Criminal Tribes Act. By this Act many communities of craftsmen, traders and postoralists were classified as criminal Tribes.
10. Customary Rights : Rights that people are used to by custom and tradition.