5. Novels, Society & History
Glossary (Novels, Society & History)
1. Commonality : Sharing of an attribute, common features.
2. Serialised Novel : A novel whose story in published in institution in a magazine or journal.
3. Epic : A long poem narrating adventures or achievement of heroic figure or a nation.
4. Nostalgia : Having a feeling of home sickness - sentimental yearning of the past.
5. Novel : Fictitious prose - Story published as a complete book.
6. Manuscript : Author’s copy; document written by hand.
7. Gentlemanly Classes : Class of well-based people. People of good social position and wealth.
8. Ballads : A poem or song narrating a story in short stanzas.
9. Epistolary Novels : Novels written in the form of series of letters.
10. Grain Merchant : A merchant or trader who deals in grain.
11. Vernacular : The language spoken by common people.
12. Hypocrisy : Insincerity.
13. Colonialism : Policy of acquiring or maintaining colonies.
14. Slave Traders : A traders who buys and sells slaves.
15. Native : Original inhabitant; indigenous.
16. Primitive : Ancient; at an early stage of civilisation.
17. Barbaric : Primitive; savage.
18. Domestic Novels : Novels that depict the inner world of domestic life in contemporary setting, deal with social problem and romantic relationship between men and women.
19. Historical Novels : Novels based on historical events.
20. Kabirlarai : A Bengali word meaning extempore poetry contests.
21. Bhadralok : A Bengali word meaning a gentle man.
22. Jatra : Dramatic performance in open theatres very popular in rural society of Bengal.
23. Colloquial : Belonging to ordinary or familiar conversation; ordinary spoken language not formal or literary.
24. Meyeli : Language associated with women’s speech.
25. Pen-Name : Fictitious name used by an author only for the purpose of writing without exposing one’s identity.
26. Satire : A work or composition which ridicules or exposes folly or vices. Ironical writing.
27. Fantasy : Fanciful composition or writing involving imaginary characters.
28. Autobiographical pieces : Pieces of literature written by an author to narrate the story of his/her own life.
29. Mallas : A community of fisher folk who live off fishing.
30. Protagonist : Chief person or character in the plot of story. Main character of a novel or book.
If you want to give information about online courses to other students, then share it with more and more on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus. The more the shares will be, the more students will benefit. The share buttons are given below for your convenience.