1. The Rise Of Nationalism In Europe
Important Terms of Nationalism of Europe
1. Nationalism : A sense of belonging to one nation. Feeling or pride and patriotism towards the country one belongs.
2. Absolutist : Unrestricted, despotic and authoritarian often refers to a centralised repressive monarchial government.
3. Utopian : An ideal situation a vision too good to be realised in practice.
4. Nation state : A state having a common and contiguous boundary with inhabitants, people sharing common language, race and religion. Majority of its citizen develop a sense of common identity and share a common history.
5. Plebiscite : A direct vote by which the people of a region, themselves decide to accept or reject a proposal.
6. Sovereignty : Supreme Power.
7. Monarchy : Form a government headed by a monarch or a hereditary or dynamics ruler.
8. The Estates General : Referred to the French Parliament an elected body which was renamed as the National Assembly after the revolution of 1789.
9. Civil Code : A systematic set of laws for the citizen.
10. Habsbury Empire : The empire that ruled Austria, Hungary including the Alpine region of Tyrol, Austria, Sudetenland, Bohemia. It also included Italian provinces of Lombardy and Venetia.
11. Liberalism : Derived from the word ‘liber’ meaning free. The idea of liberalism stands for freedom of individual and equality of all before law. Politically it refers to representative government.
12. Suffrage : The right to vote.
13. Elle : Elle was used to measure cloth, prevalent in German states.
14. Zollverein : A custom union, formed in 1034 in Prussia to remove barriers of trade.
15. Considervatism : A spirit or philosophy which believes in maintaining and preserving traditional values and institutions. It prefers gradual change to quick and drastic change.
16. Carbonari : A secret society of Italy consisting of young revolutionaries.
17. Young Italy : A secret society founded by Mazzine at Masseles for organising revolutionary activities.
18. Ottoman Empire : Turkish empire ruled by the caliph. The spiritual and temporal head of the muslim.
19. Romanticism : A cultural movement which aimed at developing a particular form of national sentiment and promote a feeling of collective heritage as the basis of motion .
20. Das volk : A German word meaning common people.
21. Republic : A state where the head of the state is elected and does not hold a hereditary position.
22. Feminist : People who advocate women’s right on the basis of equality of sexes.
23. Ideology : System of ideas reflecting a particular social and political vision.
24. Allegory : Symbol representing an abstract idea; an idea identified through a person or a thing.
25. Balkan region : A region in Europe with geographical and ethnic variation. The region covers the states of modern day Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Greece, Macedonia, Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegra. The inhabitants of the region are known as the Slavs.
If you want to give information about online courses to other students, then share it with more and more on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus. The more the shares will be, the more students will benefit. The share buttons are given below for your convenience.