1. The Making of a Global World
Glossary (The Making of a Global World)
1. Global (world wide) : Involving all countries of the globe.
2. Globalisation : Integrating economy of a country with the economies of other countries under condition of free flow of trade, capital and labour.
3. Cowries : A Hindi word meaning sea shells. These are used in ancient world as form of currency.
4. Silk Route : Route taken by traders to carry silk cargos from China to the west.
5. Spaghetti : A type of noodle popular in Italy.
6. El Dorado : Imaginary land of great wealth fabled land of gold.
7. Plantation : Estate for cultivation of cash crops like tea, coffee, cotton, tobacco, sugarcane etc.
8. Corn Laws : British laws which imposed restrictions on the import of corn.
9. Ecology : Study of organisms in relation to one another and to their surroundings.
10. The Canal Colonies : The colonies/areas irrigated by new canals, where peasants from different parts of Punjab settled.
11. Rinderpest : Cattle Plague - A fast spreading disease among cattle.
12. Rastafaria : A Jamaican sect, the members of which regarded blacks as the chosen people.
13. Chutney Music (Popular music in Trianidad) : Supposed to be the result of cultural fusion.
14. Entrepreneur : One who undertakes commercial enterprise with chance of profit or loss. Start enterprise by himself/herself at his/her own risk.
15. Hosay : A riotous carnival in Trinidad when workers of all races and religions join to celebrate.
16. Coolie : Unskilled native labourers. Indentured Indian labourers were often referred to as coolie in Trinidad.
17. Indigo : Deep violet blue colour.
18. Allies : Before the first world war, Britain, France and Russia formed an alliance and fought together in the first World War. Together they were known as Allies.
19. Central Power : An alliance formed by Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy, Later Turkey, Fought together in the First World War. Together they were know as Allies.
20. Axis-Power : Germany, Italy, Austria, Turkey were known as Axis powers during the Second World War.
21. IMF : International monetary fund.
22. NIEO : New International Economic order.
If you want to give information about online courses to other students, then share it with more and more on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus. The more the shares will be, the more students will benefit. The share buttons are given below for your convenience.